No matter where you live, it is always important that you know your rights if you ever find yourself in a compromising situation. That being said, there are hundreds, if not thousands of laws in our country, alone. And many of the rights that we enjoy on a daily basis are the same everywhere else in the world.
However, while each country is different, many of them have signed on to recognize the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) that was passed by the United Nations General Assembly on December 10th, 1948 in Paris, France.
But did you know that there are actually 30 universal human rights?
Here is a breakdown of all of them, in order…
- Article 1: This article states that all human beings, regardless of citizenship status are born “free and equal in dignity and rights.” It goes further to state that human beings because they belong to the same human race, should treat others fairly and in brotherhood.
- Article 2: Similar to Article 1, Article 2 pushes this idea further to claim that no one should be treated differently based on sex, language, religion, political ideology, country of origin, etc. It also grants individuals their own level of sovereignty in how they choose to live their lives and identify in a number of ways.
- Article 3: Simply states that individuals have the “right to life, liberty, and security of person.” Security of person refers to individual safety from violence (i.e. they have the right to defend themselves in threatening situations).
- Article 4: This article makes any form of slavery, including servitude, illegal on an international scale. This includes the actual act of hiring people to serve as “slaves,” in any form where they lack basic human rights, decency, and a wage.
- Article 5: Makes the use of torture, punishment (including degrading punishment), cruelty, and inhumane treatment illegal on an international level. However, we do know that governments have used and continue to use torture as a method to extract information.
To be continued…
Van Norman Law provides trustworthy, reliable defense. Specializing in criminal defense and personal injury, our team will get you the defense you deserve.