Phoenix Wrongful Death Attorney | Phoenix Wrongful Death Lawyer | Phoenix Wrongful Death Attorneys | Phoenix Wrongful Death Lawyers
The death of a loved one is always a tragedy, no matter what the cause. However, when your loved one is killed due to the actions of another, their death will often have a devastating emotional and financial impact. Survivors of those killed due to the negligence of another are left angry, distraught, and frequently financially unprepared for the sudden departure of their loved one, who all too often was the primary breadwinner.
A wrongful death, defined as death caused by another parties actions or negligence, can occur from any number of circumstances. In the U.S. annually there are 162,000 injury related deaths. Wrongful deaths commonly occur from the following incidents:
- Automobile accidents—around 40,000 Americans are killed in automobile accidents annually.
- Trucking accidents—over 3,700 individuals are killed in accidents involving tractor trailers or other commercial trucks each year.
- Motorcycle accidents—an average of 4,500 riders are killed each year on U.S. roadways.
- Medical malpractice fatalities—an estimated 98,000 Americans die each year due to preventable medical errors
- Unsafe premises—around 18,000 slip and fall fatalities occur each year due to unsafe premises, which can include slippery, obstructed, or poorly lit walkways, a lack of safety signs, or the use of unapproved equipment such as ladders.
- Defective products—the CDC reports that more than 20,000 deaths are caused by defective products each year, which can include: design defects; manufacturing defects; and inadequate or failure to warn.
An Experienced Wrongful Death Attorney Can Get You the Recovery You Deserve
An unexpected death may leave the family of the victim struggling with feelings of anger, anguish, and uncertainty. It may also leave the victim’s family fraught with worry as to how to deal with the financial consequences of that loss, such as medical bills and loss of support. If your loved one has died as the result of another’s negligence or malfeasance, you have the right under Arizona law to compensation for that tragic loss.
There are two central aspects to a wrongful death suit: 1) proving fault and 2) demonstrating the value of your loss. Though it will undoubtedly be difficult to discuss a lawsuit soon after the loss of your loved one, it is important to secure the representation of a skilled Phoenix wrongful death attorney as soon as possible after the incident. Crucial evidence may be lost the longer you wait to bring your action, and the one year statute of limitations begins ticking right after the victim’s death.
The surviving spouse and the children of an accident victim have the right by statute to file a wrongful death action. It is important to remember that the wrongful death action is intended to compensate you for your losses as a result of your loved one’s death; recovery for damages for pain and suffering experienced by the victim is not a part of this action. A plaintiff has exactly one year from the victim’s death to file a wrongful death action.
In a wrongful death lawsuit, compensation for the loss of your loved one may include:
- Funeral expenses
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages and future earnings
- Lost benefits, such as pension and medical
- Lost inheritance
- Loss of love, affection, companionship, care, protection, and guidance since the loss of the decedent and into the future
- The pain, sorrow, and grief experienced as a result of the loss and likely to continue to be experienced in the future
Compassionate Phoenix Wrongful Death Attorneys You Can Count On
The Van Norman Law Firm is a caring team of Phoenix wrongful death lawyers that will tirelessly fight for you. While we can never bring back the loved one you so tragically lost, we can strive to obtain the best recovery for you and your family, while holding the party responsible for your loved one’s death accountable. Call the Van Norman Law Firm today at (480) 696-6862 for a free consultation.