Scottsdale Personal Injury Lawyer | Scottsdale Personal Injury Attorney | Personal Injury Lawyer Scottsdale | Personal Injury Attorney Scottsdale AZ
A personal injury occurs when someone is injured as a result of an incident that is caused either directly by the negligence, recklessness, or intentional misconduct of another individual or indirectly by their property, as in the case of slip and falls. Personal injuries commonly occur from the following incidents:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Dog bites or mauling
- Truck accidents
- Slip and falls or premises liability cases
- Defective products
- Bicycle and boating accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
Personal injuries can leave their victims with permanent disabilities, lifelong physical problems, and even death. In the U.S., accidental injuries are the fifth leading cause of death overall and are the leading cause of death for those under 35.
If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of an accident, you may have the right to recover the losses you incurred. Recovery can be for the following categories of losses: medical expenses; loss of income; physical pain and suffering; emotional suffering; future medical expenses; loss of earning capacity; permanent disfigurement or other lifelong physical injuries; and even punitive damages. If you your spouse or parent has been killed due to the negligent actions of another, you may have grounds for a wrongful death claim which you can bring to receive compensation for your losses associated with the death of your loved one.
The following is a list of the top personal injury verdicts and settlements in the U.S.:
- In Minnesota, a jury awarded a 19 year old gas station attendant $15,868,960 following a trial in which he claimed to have suffered brain injuries as a result of a defective product. The case was upheld on appeal but the award reduced to $8,200,000, which included $4,500,000 in punitive damages.
- A 16 year old plaintiff received a $12,000,000 settlement following a catastrophic automobile accident. The teenager was the passenger in a vehicle operated by a friend. The driver lost control of the vehicle and it flipped. The plaintiff received severe spinal cord injuries which left him paralyzed from the neck down and dependent upon a ventilator. The defendant’s insurance company initially denied coverage of the crash, stating the defendant removed coverage a month prior to the accident.
- Another 16 year old plaintiff was awarded a $10,000,000 settlement as a result of her brain injuries sustained while in school. The plaintiff was struck with a golf ball in the head by another student while in physical education class. The school asked the court to dismiss the action, urging the plaintiff assumed the risk of injury. The court denied the request, finding the school had a duty to provide a safe environment for its students and questions existed as to whether the school in fact did so.
- Finally, a 35 year old mother who suffered brain damage and the loss of a leg as a result of a collision with a tractor trailer was awarded $6,000,000 in a settlement agreement. Investigations spurred by the plaintiff’s attorney uncovered that the truck driver was driving the tractor trailer in dense fog despite being warned shortly before the accident that he should not drive until the fog lifted.
The plaintiffs in the cases above will always be affected by the tragic accidents in which they were involved, but, with the help of their experienced Scottsdale personal injury lawyers, they will at least be compensated for the devastating impact of their injuries. Equally importantly, the negligent accident-causers in each of the above cases were held responsible for their actions and hopefully this will lead to fewer accidents in the future.
The Van Norman Law Firm is an experienced Scottsdale personal injury firm that will zealously fight for your recovery. If you have been injured or believe you may have been injured due to the negligent actions of another, call the Van Norman Law Firm today at (480) 696-6862 to schedule a free case evaluation with one of our experienced Scottsdale personal injury lawyers.